Remains of a wall in a medieval Benedictine Priory dating from 1017
An ancient burial was discovered in open ground to the east of the old village of Slepe. The Abbots of Ramsey seizing the opportunity quickly decided that this must be the body of the Persian Bishop, St Ivo, who had died whilst visiting Slepe. A priory was quickly established over the spot where the body was found. All that is left of the priory today is a few metres of the Priory Barn wall.
Unfortunately this was knocked over by a truck reversing, so we were called to rescue the stone and rebuild it.
The wall had been weakened by root growth penetrating the lime mortar and holding moisture. This would have left it prone to freeze & expand, thus making larger gaps for more water and more seeds etc etc.
We carefully took down as much of the weakened wall as necessary and started to rebuild it using a mixture of the reclaimed & newly brought in stone on a like for like basis to replace the old stone which had delaminated or been stolen.
Once down and clear the rebuild could take place.
Apart form some of the stone being stolen for some local gardens the re-build went effortlessly and was complete in 8 days
The new wall looks very impressive indeed and English Heritage were very happy with what we achieved.