There have been many adjustments made to this roof over the years. Some were to an OK standard, most were not.
After many conversations with the client & conversation officer we finalised a plan and the major work could start.
Access to one elevation was particularly awkward and the percentage of tiles that we could save was small. We completely replacede the peg tiles on this side and then used the reclaimed tiles to repair the other elevations.
We took the opportunity to replace all the abutment flaunching & added lead shakers to make sure the roof junctions were water tight & to provide good longevity. By carrying this out to the highest standard, we not only achieve client satisfaction but we also secure the buildings future.
The previous owner had replaced the failing stone parapet cappin stones with Marley concrete tiles… We are removing these and replacing with Bath Stone as they should be.
Both the smaller chimneys had been rendered. This is generally due to the expense of repairing the spalled brickwork. The render accelerates degeneration by trapping moisture and destroying the structures. Luckily the new owner wants them restored back to their former glory – with the pots replaced & cowls fitted.